Mohs Reconstruction Specialist
Each year, many patients, especially those in the West, develop skin cancer as a result of over-exposure to the sun. When the cancer is present in the face, it can require a highly delicate approach to repair the skin and soft tissues. Mohs micrographic surgery is performed by dermatologists to remove cancer, and then a plastic surgeon trained in advanced skin closure techniques, such as Dr. Erez Dayan, is brought in to reconstruct the facial contours so they appear as natural and inconspicuous as possible.
- What Is Mohs Reconstruction?
Dr. Dayan performs Mohs reconstructive surgery at Avance Plastic Surgery Institute to help restore the appearance of the face after skin cancer removal. Dr. Dayan will assess the size and location of the defect and develop a customized approach to close the wounds discreetly with grafts, flaps or advanced tissue transfer techniques. It is Dr. Dayan’s priority to make sure not only the functional requirements of the face are observed, but also that the facial aesthetics are optimized.
Some procedures used are:
- Adjacent Tissue Transfer:
Geometric configurations of surrounding tissue are mobilized for wound coverage using minimal tension and preserving key aesthetic units of the face.
- Local Pedicled Flap Surgery:
Here, tissue from the body is moved to cover the deformity, but it remains attached to its blood supply, with blood vessels from the donor site feeding the flap of soft tissue.
- Free Flap Surgery: In this case, tissue from another area of the body is transplanted to cover the skin defect, but the blood supply is reconnected to blood vessels near the wound using microsurgical techniques rather than remaining attached to its original source.
- Adjacent Tissue Transfer:
- What Are the Benefits of Mohs Reconstructive Surgery?
Among the many benefits of Mohs reconstructive surgery, are:
- Closure after skin cancer treatment
- Renewed confidence in one’s appearance
- Improvement in facial aesthetics
- Delicate, natural outcome
- Well-hidden incisions
- Maintain optimal functional and aesthetic outcome
- Who Is an Ideal Candidate for Mohs Reconstruction?
- Patients who have suffered skin cancer on the face in sensitive areas such as the lips, ears, nose, cheek and eyelids may be ideal candidates for reconstructive plastic surgery following Mohs cancer removal surgery. The reconstruction can typically take place the day following the cancer removal. Dr. Dayan will formulate a detailed assessment and plan for your individual case during your confidential consultation at his office in Reno/Tahoe, Nevada.
- What Will Recovery from Mohs Reconstructive Surgery Involve?
- Most patients undergo Mohs reconstruction as an in-office procedure under local anesthesia. Depending on the extent of reconstruction, Dr. Dayan usually recommends that patients rest for 5-7 days and avoid strenuous activities or exercise. Dr. Dayan will monitor your healing closely and is always just a call away.
- What Are the Fees for Mohs Reconstruction?
- Mohs reconstructive surgery is a highly individualized procedure, with strategies and techniques that differ from patient to patient, based on their needs. For this reason, the best way to obtain an accurate quote for services is to arrange for a consultation with Dr. Dayan in Reno/Tahoe, Nevada. The doctor will perform an in-depth physical evaluation as well as a thorough review of your medical history. Dr. Dayan and his staff will provide you with a clear explanation of fees for treatment. Our office will assist you in filing your insurance paperwork and in applying for financing if needed.
- Why Choose Dr. Dayan in Reno/Tahoe for Mohs Reconstruction?
Dr. Dayan trained at the world-renowned Harvard Plastic Surgery Program, consistently ranked #1 in the nation by US News and World Report. After his training at Harvard, Dr. Dayan was one of two surgeons chosen to pursue an elite fellowship in aesthetic surgery at the prestigious Dallas Plastic Surgery Institute.
He has published and presented on plastic surgery topics on over 150 occasions including writing five books. Dr. Dayan has presented his plastic surgery research and experience internationally, including Europe, South America, Asia and the Middle East. Dr. Dayan has also served as an investigator and opinion leader for companies such as Allergan, Galderma, MTF Biologics and InMode.
For a Mohs surgery consultation with Dr. Erez Dayan, contact Avance Plastic Surgery Institute in Reno/Tahoe, Nevada.