Breast Augmentation (Breast Implants)
Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure used to enhance the breast size, shape and symmetry of a woman’s breasts and torso. While breast augmentation can be accomplished with fat transfer, this cosmetic breast surgery is traditionally performed with either saline or silicone implants (gummy bear implants). Breast Implants come in all different shapes, sizes and textures, so your procedure can be highly customized to your preferences and aesthetic goals, giving you the most natural and personalized results possible.
- What are Some Aesthetic Concerns that Make Women Want a Breast Augmentation?
A woman’s breasts are as personal as her fingerprints, and dissatisfaction with them is just as personal. Many common reasons women seek a breast augmentation are briefly discussed below.
- Cup Size
- Many factors can cause undesired changes to the size of a woman's breasts, including soft tissue laxity, genetics, weight loss, pregnancy and breastfeeding. A breast augmentation can address these issues and achieve the fullness and confidence you desire. During your consultation with Dr. Dayan, he will educate you on all options available to achieve your aesthetic goals. Commonly, Dr. Dayan combines fat grafting with breast implant placement to achieve a natural feel with a look that defies the test of time.
- Breast Symmetry
- Uneven size or shape of the breasts is a common problem and may be particularly troublesome to patients when choosing bras or clothing. Asymmetry of the breasts can be corrected with a customized breast augmentation procedure, achieving an aesthetically pleasing and consistent cup size.
- Breast Shape
- Misshapen breasts can occur for several reasons, such as genetic conditions (i.e. tuberous breasts or constricted breasts), but can be significantly improved through breast enhancement. Breast augmentation can restore a well-rounded, pleasing shape to the breasts, improving your appearance and self-image.
- Breast Volume
- Breast augmentation can help correct volume loss of the breasts, or enhance your current breast size and shape. Whether you desire a fuller breast appearance or a more tailored silhouette, a breast augmentation can help accomplish these aesthetic goals.
- What Are the Most Common Benefits of a Surgical Breast Augmentation with Breast Implants?
- A more youthful appearance to the breasts
- Improved upper inner breast volume (cleavage)
- Better balance and proportion of the chest
- Correction of lost breast volume
- Improved breast symmetry
- Restoration of breast aesthetics after pregnancy or weight loss
- Natural-looking results
- Who Makes a Good Candidate for a Reno Breast Enhancement Procedure?
- A good candidate for breast augmentation surgery at Avance Plastic Surgery Institute is at or close to their ideal weight, and in good health, both emotionally and physically, with no significant medical concerns that might interfere with treatment. Patients should be non-smokers, or willing to quit both before and after surgery. Last, patients should possess realistic expectations for what can be accomplished with their breast augmentation surgery.
- What Are the Different Types of Breast Implants Available?
Among the safest and most popular breast implants and augmentation measures Dr. Dayan uses are:
- Dr. Dayan uses the most advanced saline implants on the market to achieve a natural and more volumized breast appearance. Empty implants are placed under the breast tissue and filled by Dr. Dayan using a sterile saline solution in a closed system. The amount of saline used is customized to your aesthetic goals and will impact the final aesthetic of your breasts.
- In cases of asymmetry, each side can be filled with a different volume for an improved size and shape match. Often, Dr. Dayan will combine liposuction and fat grafting to achieve a natural slope to the breast and ensure a natural appearance. On the rare occasion a saline implant ruptures, the fluid is simply absorbed by the body without harm.
- Silicone Implants
- Silicone implants come pre-filled with a cohesive gel (gummy bear implant) that mimics the look and feel of real breasts. The implant size range is selected beforehand and the actual implant is determined at the time of surgery. Silicone implants are often preferred over saline implants because of their more natural feel. If an implant ruptures, the gel is typically contained within the implant’s surrounding silicone shell or the surrounding capsule formed around the implant by the body.
- Because silicone is not absorbed by the body, Dr. Dayan recommends breast screening every few years to ensure breast implants remain intact. Women over the age of 22 are approved for breast augmentation with silicone implants. Dr. Dayan has performed extensive research on silicone breast implants and he authored one of the most highly read publications on the Safety of Silicone Breast implants in the Journal of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.
- Fat Grafting
- Dr. Dayan commonly uses liposuction and fat grafting to enhance breast volume and shape for patients who prefer to not have implants. This technique allows for the transfer of fat from undesirable areas of the body (typically abdomen, flanks or thighs) and re-distributing the fat in the breast tissue. This technique can be combined with breast implants to enhance the natural appearance and upper pole fullness as well as correct and minimize the potential for implant rippling or visibility. Fat grafting can also be performed by Dr. Dayan in the office setting under local anesthesia.
- What Are the Different Choices Available for My Incision Location?
- There are a few locations for the incisions Dr. Dayan will place to insert your implants. They include:
- Peri areolar
- Here, the incision is made in a semi-circle of the areola beneath the nipple where incisions are hidden between the colored areola and surrounding breast skin. Implants can be placed with great precision and accuracy, as the incision site is close to the breast capsule.
- The inframammary fold, also known as the breast crease, is an ideal spot to hide incisions from view. With this choice, Dr. Dayan creates a minimal access incision (typically 4 centimeters) and has ample access to precisely develop the breast pocket and meticulously place the implant.
- Trans axillary
- This incision is made within the armpit, sparing the breasts from any visible scarring. It is used with saline implants, which are filled once they are placed in the capsule.
- What Are the Different Options for Placement of My Breast Implants?
- Breast implants can be placed above or below the pectoral muscle. In most cases, Dr. Dayan’s preference is to place the breast implant underneath the pectoral muscle. This allows for more soft tissue coverage and a more natural appearance. During your consultation, you will discuss the difference of placing implants above or below the pec muscle and decide what is best for you. Dr. Dayan places breast implants above the pectoral muscle in cases where patients use their pec muscles for their hobby/profession (i.e. bodybuilders, acrobats), where it has less potential to shift when a patient flexes their chest. Dr. Dayan will help you to decide on the best placement for your implants after completing your individual breast enhancement consultation.
- What Can I Expect During My Recovery Phase?
Right after surgery, you will wake up comfortably from your breast augmentation procedure. Dr. Dayan uses long-acting local anesthesia and advanced nerve block techniques to ensure this happens smoothly. You may experience swelling and tightness in the breasts over the next five to seven days. These symptoms are normal and Dr. Dayan will provide you with detailed after-procedure instructions to help ensure a smooth and successful recovery. Dr. Dayan will also place a surgical compression wrap to help minimize post-operative swelling.
A friend or family member will be required to drive you home after surgery as your anesthesia continues wearing off. You will need to rest once you get home, but are encouraged to walk the day of surgery. It is optimal to have a pre-scheduled helper available to assist with any chores, childcare or other needs.
One week after surgery, swelling will have begun to diminish. You will be feeling better and able to resume light activities. If your job does not require strenuous motion, you may return to work. Two weeks after surgery, the majority of swelling will almost be gone. You may still require occasional over-the-counter pain relief, but you will generally feel good enough to work and return to normal activities.
One month after surgery, your new breast shape will be fully visible, with the swelling gone and breast tissue healed. Your incisions will begin to fade away. Three months after surgery, your breasts appear natural and rounded and have settled into place. By six months after surgery, your incisions will have faded and blended in with your skin color.
- Why Should I Choose Dr. Dayan for My Reno Breast Implants?
Dr. Dayan is a plastic and reconstructive surgeon providing cutting-edge services at the state-of-the-art Avance Plastic Surgery Institute in Reno/Tahoe, Nevada. After completing his training at the distinguished and internationally-recognized Harvard Plastic Surgery Program, Dr. Dayan was one of two plastic surgeons selected to complete an aesthetic surgery fellowship at the Dallas Plastic Surgery Institute, regarded as a top aesthetic fellowship program in the nation.
Dr. Dayan has published articles and lectured extensively both domestically and abroad, authoring five books on topics in plastic and reconstructive surgery. He is the recipient of prestigious awards, such as the Harvard Plastic Surgery Academic Achievement Award and the Aesthetic Surgery Education and Research Foundation Grant.
- How Much Does A Breast Augmentation Cost in Reno?
- The cost of a breast augmentation will depend on your individualized plan, which includes the type of implants and incision used. After your detailed consultation with Dr. Dayan in our Reno/Tahoe office, our patient coordinator will provide you with a full, detailed quote. We have partnerships with major financing companies that offer low monthly payment plans. Our office staff would be glad to help you apply for patient financing if you desire.
Contact us today at Avance Plastic Surgery Institute to schedule your breast augmentation with Dr. Dayan.
Dr. Erez Dayan has completed extensive research on the evidence related to Silicone Implant Illness. Please read Dr. Dayan’s research paper – Silicone Implant Illness: Science Versus Myth? – here.
The maintenance program at Avance Plastic Surgery Institute is designed to offer patients a convenient way to continue seeing the benefits of our treatments for as long as possible.
To maintain the outcomes of cosmetic breast procedures, we recommend non-invasive and minimally invasive treatments with the following devices:
- Forma Body (InMode)
- Morpheus 8 (InMode)
Sientra Implant Warranty
THE INDUSTRY’S MOST COMPREHENSIVE 20-YEAR WARRANTY
Sientra Platinum20 Product Replacement and Limited Warranty Program is the most comprehensive and longest of any breast implant manufacturer. Not only does it provide the most comprehensive protection and longest length of coverage, it also includes the most financial assistance and least amount of warranty restrictions in the industry.
See Confidence With Full Coverage
Covers all primary and revision augmentation and reconstruction surgeries:
- LIFETIME: FREE implant replacement for rupture
- 20 YEAR: Up to $5,000 for uncovered fees and costs due to implant rupture and up to $7,500 for uncovered fees and costs due to BIA-ALCL
- 20 YEAR: FREE implant replacement for complications of capsular contracture (Baker Grade III/IV), late forming seroma, double capsule and BIA-ALCL
- 2 YEAR: Up to $2,000 for uncovered fees and costs due to capsular contracture (Baker Grade III/IV), late forming seroma, and double capsule
For complete details about the terms and conditions of the Sientra Platinum20 program and Sientra breast implants, visit Sientra resources.