Breathing is a fundamental aspect of our daily lives, yet many individuals suffer from nasal issues that hinder their ability to breathe freely. If you’ve been struggling with chronic nasal congestion, difficulty breathing through your nose, or recurrent sinus infections, it might be time to consider septoplasty. At Avance Plastic Surgery, we are dedicated to helping you achieve optimal nasal health and improved quality of life. Our Reno office proudly offers septoplasty or deviated septum repair with attention to both function and aesthetics.
Septoplasty is a surgical procedure designed to correct a deviated septum—a condition where the thin wall (septum) between your nasal passages is off-center or crooked. A deviated septum can obstruct the airflow through one or both nostrils, leading to various nasal problems. Septoplasty aims to straighten the septum, restoring proper airflow and relieving nasal obstruction.
Reasons to Consider Deviated Septum Repair
Just because you have a deviated septum doesn’t automatically mean you need surgical repair. However, the following consequences are common in those with a deviated septum, which makes septoplasty an ideal solution.
- Chronic Nasal Congestion: If you find yourself frequently experiencing nasal congestion, especially on one side of the nose, and over-the-counter remedies provide little relief, a deviated septum might be the underlying cause.
- Breathing Difficulties: Difficulty breathing through your nose can affect your quality of sleep, cause mouth breathing, and lead to fatigue and reduced exercise tolerance.
- Recurrent Sinus Infections: A deviated septum can impede proper drainage of the sinuses, increasing the likelihood of recurrent sinus infections.
- Sleep Apnea: In some cases, a deviated septum can contribute to obstructive sleep apnea, a condition characterized by interrupted breathing during sleep.
- Facial Pain or Headaches: A deviated septum can cause pressure on the facial bones, leading to facial pain and headaches.
- Nasal Injury or Trauma: If you have experienced a nasal injury or trauma, it could result in a deviated septum, requiring correction through septoplasty.
The Septoplasty Procedure
Before considering septoplasty, you will have a comprehensive consultation with our skilled plastic surgeon at Avance Plastic Surgery. During this consultation, we will assess your nasal health, review your medical history, and discuss your symptoms and concerns. If septoplasty is deemed the appropriate solution, we will outline the surgical process and address any questions you may have.
The septoplasty procedure is typically performed as an outpatient procedure under general anesthesia. Our expert plastic surgeon will make a small incision inside the nostril to access the deviated septum. The crooked or displaced cartilage and bone will be gently repositioned, allowing for improved nasal airflow. The incision is then closed, and you will be closely monitored during the recovery period.
Recovering from Deviated Septum Repair
Following septoplasty, you may experience mild discomfort, swelling, or nasal congestion for a few days. Our compassionate team at Avance Plastic Surgery will provide you with post-operative instructions and pain management techniques to ensure a smooth and comfortable recovery. You will likely be able to resume your normal activities within a week, but it is essential to avoid strenuous activities that could impact your nasal healing.
Breathe Easy with Avance Plastic Surgery
If you are experiencing persistent nasal issues that hinder your ability to breathe freely, septoplasty might be the solution you’ve been seeking. Our team at Avance Plastic Surgery is committed to providing exceptional care and personalized treatment to help you achieve optimal nasal health and improve your overall quality of life.
Contact Avance Plastic Surgery in Reno today to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards breathing easy and enjoying life to the fullest.