Breast Reconstruction Plastic Surgery
Studies reveal that 1 in 8 women in the United States are impacted by breast cancer. The treatment for breast cancer can range from removal of a lump of tissue (lumpectomy) to a total mastectomy with or without sparing of the nipple areola complex. Also, lymph nodes may be removed or sampled to treat the disease. Dr. Dayan works closely with the region’s leading breast cancer surgeons to reconstruct patients after their treatment for breast cancer.
Breast augmentation and reconstruction is an invaluable component of your journey after breast cancer treatment. Dr. Dayan is with you every step of the way to explain the pros and cons of the many options available for reconstruction. Dr. Dayan trained at the most advanced institutions in the country to be able to provide patients with all of the latest reconstructive techniques and options.
Reconstruction can begin immediately during the same operation of the breast cancer removal, or it can be delayed as a second stage procedure. Also, your own tissue can be transferred for reconstruction, or an implant may be used. In either case, Dr. Dayan will create natural results that reflect your aesthetic sensibilities and are tailored to your body.
- What Happens During my Reno Breast Reconstruction?
Breast reconstruction can be accomplished in several different ways, which Dr. Dayan will explain in detail during your confidential consultation.
Below is an overview of each approach:
- Tissue Expansion
- In many cases after mastectomy, the breast skin envelope is delicate and not prepared for an implant. A tissue expander is essentially a deflated implant with an internal magnetic port that can be filled in the office over the weeks to months after surgery. Tissue expansion takes time but is an effective way of stretching the skin until there is room to house a breast implant or flap. Recovery with tissue expansion tends to be less lengthy than some of the other breast reconstruction techniques that involve tissue transfer from other parts of the body (i.e. flap techniques).
- Reconstruction with Breast Implants
- In most cases, breast implants are placed either at the time of breast cancer treatment or after tissue expansion. There are numerous options for types of breast implants, including silicone, gummy bear or saline implants. Each can be tailored to your needs to create realistic-looking breasts.
- Fat Transfer
- In select cases, Dr. Dayan may suggest a fat transfer to reconstruct your breasts. This procedure involves liposuction removal of fat from a different part of the body, processing the fat and then re-injecting it to the areas lacking volume. This is an effective technique to reconstruct small to medium-sized defects. Sometimes, it requires more than one session of fat transfer for optimal contour.
- Flap Techniques
- This approach uses autologous tissue from your own body to recreate natural-looking breast mounds (TRAM flap, DIEP flap, SGAP flap, latissiumus dorsi flap). Fat, skin and/or muscle are taken from a donor area such as the thighs, abdomen, buttocks, back or stomach and are transferred to the site of the mastectomy so that the tissue remains perfused by its own healthy blood supply. Flap techniques can be combined with breast implants and tissue expansion, depending on the individual needs of the patient.
- What Are the Benefits of Breast Reconstruction?
- Restoration of confidence and satisfaction with one’s appearance
- Closure around the effects of breast cancer
- Breasts that are realistic and natural
- Well-hidden incisions
- Natural, seamless outcome
- Long-lasting results
- Who Makes the Best Breast Reconstruction Candidate?
Reconstruction is a personal choice after breast cancer treatment. For most patients, breast reconstruction has a positive effect on one’s emotions and outlook. The best way to tell if you are a good candidate for reconstructive surgery is to meet with Dr. Dayan in person at his Reno/Tahoe office and discuss your desires and concerns.
Dr. Dayan will explain the different options for reconstruction (implants, fat transfer, tissue expansion, flaps), giving you a complete picture or the pros and cons of each type of reconstruction and what to expect from your surgery. You will need to be in good mental and physical health and have realistic expectations for your outcome.
- What Is the Recovery Like for Breast Reconstruction Surgery?
- Recovery times will vary according to the type of technique used for breast reconstruction. Dr. Dayan will go over your recovery plan with you during your consultation, explaining what to expect at every stage. You will receive regular follow up visits and constant communication to ensure your recovery remains on track.
- What Fees are Involved for Breast Reconstruction in Reno/Tahoe?
- Breast reconstruction is a highly customized procedure that is different for each patient. Fees will vary based on the extent of the work performed, the facility fees, the anesthesia fees and the surgeon’s fees. You will receive a full, detailed quote for services at the time of your private consultation with Dr. Dayan at Avance Plastic Surgery Institute. We participate with most insurance providers and would be glad to assist you in obtaining insurance coverage for your breast reconstruction.
- Why Choose Dr. Dayan?
- Dr. Dayan has a consummate background in reconstructive and aesthetic surgery and is the recipient of an array of prestigious awards for his work, including the Harvard Plastic Surgery Academic Achievement Award, the Aesthetic Surgery Education and Research Foundation Grant and the World Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery Achievement Award. He has published numerous articles and book chapters in major plastic surgery texts on breast reconstruction techniques. He is an investigator and opinion leader for Allergan, InMode, Galderma and MTF Biologics.
Contact the Reno/Tahoe, NV, office of Avance Plastic Surgery Institute to schedule a breast reconstruction consultation with Dr. Erez Dayan today.
The maintenance program at Avance Plastic Surgery Institute is designed to offer patients a convenient way to continue seeing the benefits of our treatments for as long as possible.
To maintain the outcomes of cosmetic breast procedures, we recommend non-invasive and minimally invasive treatments with the following devices:
- Forma Body (InMode)
- Morpheus 8 (InMode)